NJDive

NJDive
NJDive.com

Monday, May 28, 2012

City of Athens - Memorial Day Weekend 2012 - With video.

On Sunday, May 27th, I was able to get a much desired spot on the private Manni-Yunk II sport fishing & Diving boat out of Cape May, NJ.  I was diving with Sean, Kevin, Jeremiah, and Andy.  We left the dock at about 8 am, after Kevin did a shallow no-vis dive to tighten the right prop. at the gas dock.  On the way out, we decided to hit the City of Athens. The "City of Athens" was a liner that was built in 1911, and sank in 1918 with 67 casualties after a collision with the French Navy cruiser "La Gloria".  It sits on the bottom at about 110' about 24 miles off the New Jersey coast.  I dove this wreck last year with these same guys, and we had 50' viz.  I was hoping for the same today, but was not that lucky.  It was 15' at best.  We left under clear sunny skies and flat seas.  We hit a patch of moderate fog for a little while, but that burned off.

After the hour + ride out, and a quick tie-in, it go time.  I descended with Jeremiah, but spent the majority of my time around the boilers taking video.  I left my spear and bag on the boat, and hoped I didn't come upon any keepers.  There wasn't too much in the way of sea life for me to bring up, but I did see a monster eel stuck down in one of boilers.  You can see him on the video that I will post here soon.  I kept my two dives relatively short and conservative, with a total dive time of 1 hour exactly, and a maximum depth of 97'.  Bottom temperature was 54 degrees, and viz. was 10-20 feet.  There was a distinct thermocline at 55' which separated the warm blue water with the colder and murkier green water.

Logged dives #419 & #420.  As always, diving with the guys on the Manni-Yunk is a great time.

Link to the video: Youtube Link

No comments: