NJDive

NJDive
NJDive.com

Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Dykes - Aug 4, 2007

The Scuba Connection chartered the Stingray dive boat for Sunday, August 4, 2007. The initial idea was to go to the Alex Mac, a scallop boat which went down a few years ago. After a little trouble hooking the remains of the wreck, we decided to hit the Dykes, which was sunk as an artificial reef in 1983. As usual, there is an excellent write-up on this site on NJScuba.net.

While enroute, we were visited by a bunch of dolphin, who were jumping out of the water fairly close to the boat. We were also visited by a leatherback turtle, which I haven't seen in NJ. While we were finishing up our second dive, we were met by something else I've never seen before in NJ. A sharks fin broke the surface and was cruising on the surface about twenty feet off the stern for a short time. Stephan saw it and decided not to say anything, thinking nobody would believe him. Then I saw it and pointed it out. We had a few bags of mussels hanging overboard, so I wonder if that's what peaked its interest. It was most likely a dogfish shark, but we didn't see more than the fin.

I did two dives for a total runtime of 96 minutes. Viz. ranged from 10'-20'. On the first dive I shot my very first fluke and Scott got a couple of lobsters. On my second dive, I left my spear on the boat and brough down my camera for a few pics. They are posted here on wreckvalley. I love taking pictures of the starfish, anemones, shells, and fish. I just wish I had a better camera.

The tickle stick that Scott used is the soon-to-be world famous "Bender lobster tickle stick". Its simply a 2 1/2 foot piece of thick coated copper wire from Home Depot. It can be folded up, bent, straightened out, or whatever, as needed. Its not called the "Bender lobster tickle stick" because my last name just happens to be Bender, but because it bends...get it? What a play on words. As ridiculous as it sounds, this thing actually works. He caught two lobsters using it on this dive, and it was as versatile as they come. Just watch...next year everyone will be using one. Home Depot won't be able to keep this stuff on the shelves, there will be a worldwide shortage of the materials needed to make it, it will cause mass panic.....you'll see. In the mean time, while you're waiting for this to happen, check out my pics from the dive.

No comments: