NJDive

NJDive
NJDive.com

Monday, July 31, 2006

Outer Banks NC, July 2006.

I finally got to dive in the Outerbanks. I went down to Kill Devil Hills with my family for a week on the beach. My plan was to dive the U85 but mother nature didn't cooperate and the dive was cancelled the night before. A tropical depression 160 miles offshore made a mess of the surf and caused 8-10' seas. Luckily it only lasted a few days and I got out on an artifical reef called the "advance". We planned on the Jackson, which is a Coast Guard cutter which went down in a hurricane, but the viz. was only 3' according to the DM who went in to set the hook. We moved on to the "Advance" as a backup. I went out with outerbanks dive center in Nags Head, SC, and was truely impressed with their professionalism. They use the boat "Go-Between", which is perfect for diving.

Spade fish and a barracuda (barely visible on the right side near the top, swim above the "Advance" - Formerly USS Worland, PCE-845, WWII patrol craft, 860 tons, 184 ft long, decommissioned in June 1, 1964, subsequently used as a research vessel by Cape Fear Technical Institute. Upper bridge is at 35 to 40 ft with sand at an approximate depth of 80 ft.

I went in first with two fairly new divers, with about 40 dives between them. Since I was diving alone, they teamed me up with these two. The viz on the surface was at least 50 feet, and the water was nice and warm. At about 45' there was a clear thermocline, which reduced the temp. to the mid 60's and viz went to 15'. There was also a moderate current on the wreck. After only15 minutes, this team decided to end their dive, either due to being cold or to sucking wind. I took them to the anchor line and up they went....without me. I stayed down with the hopes of seeing a sand tiger shark or maybe a stingray. As I waited, I played in the large schools of spade fish all around the wreck. I realized that the lense of my camera was fogged over due to the extreme temperture change between the surface and down below. As a result, my camera was useless underneath the thermocline. I played around for another 20 minutes or so, and ascended when the last dive team went to the anchor line. On my safety stop, I noticed a large barracuda hanging out near the bouy about 50 feet away. This was just the way I like it....first in and last out.

During the surface interval, a few of the crew and I snorkeled around the boat watching the large schools of spade, the lingering barracuda, and even a mahi mahi dolphin. I was able to take some nice pics and really enjoyed this break between the dives.

On the second dive, I teamed up with one of the crew and we spent most of the dive inside the Advance. There were lots of swim thoughs and even a few decent penetrations. We went out into the sand looking for sand dollars and nice shells. After 45 minutes, it was time to come up. Again, first in and last out....that's the way to do it!

Coming into the marina, there were many reminders of the havoc of a hurricane. Hurricane Isabel, which stuck the outerbanks in September of 2003 left behind some eerie remiders of the power of mother nature. Many boats which sunk at the docks remain where they went down, partially submerged.

No comments: